By Mark H. Stowers
Moms are special and on their celebrated day, there are plenty of options in Metro Detroit to make them feel loved and appreciated. And, oh, they won’t have to change diapers, cook or clean-up but just be celebrated on Mother’s Day, Sunday May 8th. Here’s a list of ideas, places and things to do to celebrate Mother’s Day 2022:
Mother’s Day 2022
- Royal Oak in Bloom – Get up early and hit the annual garden extravaganza in Royal Oak. From 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., head to the Sixth and Main Street Parking Garage where more than 75 vendors will be on hand with everything for backyard living. For the past 23 years, this annual flower and garden sale has everything from flowers, plants, landscape items and even decorative elements. Perennials, specialized sprinklers, annuals trees and plenty of vegetable, fruit and more spread out in the parking structure. Jim Shaffer and Associates will be there taking free Mother’s Day portraits! Sponsored by the Royal Oak Chamber, check out www.royaloakchamber.com for more information.
- Afternoon Tea at the Birmingham Townsend Hotel – Book your mom a relaxing and fun afternoon tea. Afternoon tea runs Wednesday to Sunday from noon to 3:00 p.m. Reservations need to be made a week in advance through the Townsend, here. Cost is $65 and you can check out the Tea Menu of fine, loose rolled teas and more.
- Hopefully, Michigan’s spring will have arrived and a Meadow Brook Hall pre-Mother’s Day Luncheon will show your love and appreciation. A delectable three-course luncheon is served at the Great Estate in the Christopher Wren Dining Room. The cost is $75 and make reservations at (248) 364-6200. Meadow Brook Hall and Gardens are located at 350 Estate Drive in Rochester.
- If getting out and enjoying nature is more your style, check out the Wildflower Walk with Mom at the Hudson Mills Metropark in Dexter. The half-mile guided hike ventures along the Acorn Nature Trail with spring flowers as the prize. You’ll need to register online. You’ll need a Metropark Daily Pass or annual vehicle pass as well as $3 per child, $5 for adults and children under two are free. There’s also the Walk-A-Mom Stony Creek Metropark event. The self-guided spring hike in the, hopefully, spring flower extravaganza. And keep those eyes peeled for morel mushrooms as they’ll be popping in their special spots as well. And if you stop by the nature center, they’ll give a certificate and a flower to plant at home. Throw in Kensington Metropark as well in Milford for either a 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Mother’s Day Walk. The hour-long guided tour yields plenty of wildflower gazing and exercise. Pre-registration is required. Click here.
- Shane Park in Birmingham will have a special two-day event – Art Birmingham 2022 – where 175 juried artists will be on hand showing their talent. The event runs from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at South Bates and West Merrill Streets in Birmingham.
- There are more flower events to take in as well as the Michigan Flower, Art & Home Improvement Show runs from Saturday May 7 through Sunday May 8 each day from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Head to Canterbury Village in Lake Orion for a tremendous assortment of flowers and plants from local farms. You can even pick up gardening tips and venture through the unique fine arts and crafts, special paintings, local pottery, woodwork, sculptures stained glass and much more. There are plenty of food and drink options on the outdoor patio as well as live entertainment and demonstrations. Parking is $5 for the event. For more information, check out https://canterburyvillage.com.
- Blakes Cider Mill in Armada offers a Mother’s Day Menu carryout of their special edibles. Cinnamon rolls, a mimosa lite cider six-pack, gallon of sweet cider, maple syrup, jam and pancake mx. The cost is $50. Call (586) 784-9463 to put your order in. Orders can also be made online.
- Washington Township offers the Brown Iron Brewhouse menu with a brunch, dinner and a gift. Blueberry Cream French Toast, Applewood Smoked Bacon and Fresh Fruit Salad are on the brunch menu. Dinner includes Pesto Chicken Tortellini Bake, Garlic Bread Pre-order by May 7th though with Saturday pickup. The cost is $100. Order here.
- Those near Ann Arbor will make a Mother’s Day special with brunch or weekend dinner delivered from Frita Batidos. The Friday or Saturday delivery ranges from $20 to $55. Click here for more info.
- Not to be outdone, the Grey Ghost in Detroit is offering a multi-course Mother’s Day Brunch for four from home. Dine on frittata, crab cakes, salad and few more surprises. You can add flowers for mom as well from their in-house florist. There’s also a Bloody Mary and mimosa kits available. Order by May 6th for Mother’s Day Pick up. Click here for more.
- What about something “out of the box?” On Friday May 6, take part in the Candle-Making, Charcuterie, Live String Music event in Detroit. There are two, two-hour events. One from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. and one from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. The cost is $115 for two people or $60 per individual. The venue is 611 West Philadelphia Street in Detroit. For more information and tickets, click here.
There’s plenty of ways to show your mom how much she means to you on her special day. Each one says I love you, Mom and Happy Mother’s Day!
If you enjoyed this article, we think you’ll love these too: